In this article, we break our SEO services down into groups, so that you can clearly see what is needed when.
If you have an existing website, the first activity must be to check the current configuration, note down the issues and come up with a plan of action.
Typical activities incorporated into a SEO Audit are:
- Technical SEO Analysis – this will include items such as sitemaps, robots.txt, web server analysis, image optimization, mobile friendliness, Google Analytics setup, website usability
- On-Page SEO Analysis – this will include analysis of the number of key phrases optimized and Meta tags (title & description) used
- SEO Content Analysis – we will investigate the quality of your cornerstone content in terms of depth, links, use of synonyms, images and duplicate content
- Off-Page SEO Analysis – this will analyze Google My Business. local search optimization and inbound links
- Competitor Analysis – we will analyse competitors’ search rankings and keywords
- Keyword Research Analysis – we will identify your main keywords and document where they are appearing in the search results
- Penalty Identification – we will document any google penalties that you are incurring
Only after we have the results of the SEO Audit can we start to fix the problems. This activity can include:
- Correction of existing Meta tags (title & description)
- Setting up of robots.txt and GoogleBot crawls
- Creation and integration of sitemaps into Google and Bing
- Google My Business optimisation or creation
- Mobile site optimization
- Set up Google Analytics
- Local search optimisation
- Image optimization
- Custom 404 error page setup
- Schema HTML tags
- Initial link disavow
- Internal linking restructuring and optimisation
- Link reclamation
Note that all new websites that we deliver come with all these features.
Create or Improve Cornerstone Content
The SEO Audit will determine the quality of the content of your website.
The cornerstone content are the main pages of the website that describe the main services or product types that you offer.
Google has a set of rules regarding on-page SEO that must be followed for your page to rank well. A WordPress plugin, such as Yoast, will help you identify the issues within each page.
The key concept is to identify a focus keyword for each page and research synonyms for the keyword. A tool like LSIGraph can help enormously in the process of identifying synonyms.
Based on the focus keyword and its synonyms Yoast can help you build a Google friendly page. Some of the key items are:
- Focus keyword length: This should be typically be about 4 or 5 words and should have not have been used before
- SEO title width: The SEO title should include about 60 characters and should include the focus keyword
- Meta description length: The meta description is normally shown in the search results. Write a compelling description of about 160 characters including the focus keyword
- Text length: The recommended minimum is 300 words but the more the better
- Keyword density: The focus keyword should appear in the main text body a couple of time
- Include key phrase in sub headers: At least once
- Images: The image filename and Alt Text should be the same as the focus keyword
- Links: If possible, create internal links to other relevant pages on the website
Unless you are in a really small niche, it is unlikely that the SEO Correction and Cornerstone Content phases will get you onto the first page of Google.
It is very likely that you will have to perform search engine optimization for at least the next 6 months. This will comprise both on page and off page SEO.
On Page SEO
On page SEO creates more content on the website following the same rules as described in the Cornerstone Content phase. This is normally accomplished using a blog.
One extra step to adding Cornerstone Content is that the blog entries should contain one or more links to external sites that can add even more value to your blog content.
Off Page SEO
Although the social media can benefit Off Page SEO, the major influence will come from building links to your website. The higher Domain Authority of the linking website will give Google an indication that there is quality on your website worth linking to.
It is important to realise that there are two types of links:
- Do-Follow – these links are counted by Google
- No-Follow – these links are not counted by Google
So, it is obvious to say that you should be aiming to build links from websites that provide Do-Follow links
There are various ways to build links to your website but it must be warned that this no easy process.
Links from Directories
This is maybe the easiest way to build inbound links. There are several types of directories to aim for:
- General business directories with high domain authority such as hotfrog.co.uk and yell.com
- Business directories specific to your niche such as sort-list.co.uk
- Geographic directories close to your location
Links from Web 2.0 sites
This is where you can build a mini version of your website at places like https://www.blogger.com which, in turn, link to your website
Links from Forums
You can post questions or make answers from forums like Quora.com
Make Guest Posts
This is perhaps the hardest thing to do as the websites with high domain authority that accept guest posts have very high acceptance criteria. They will only accept ports that are:
- Original and not posted anywhere else
- Minimum 1000 words and often more
- Contain copywrite free graphics and images
Even then, each post will go through a review process so it may take several attempts to get your post posted accepted and published.
There are specialized agencies such as the The Hoth that will write the post and out reach to guest post websites that will publish your posts.
The cost of each post will vary from 100 to 500 depending on the domain authority website requested
Each of your social media sites should link back to your website, even if they are do-follow links.
We find that YouTube and Pinterest do provide very valuable do-follow links back to your website.
Cardiff SEO Services
This post is a summary of the Cardiff SEO services that we offer. If you have any questions that you have about your website then please ask for a free consultation.
We realise that it is difficult to master all these techniques while still running your business so you may want to consider hiring an On line Marketing Agency in Cardiff to help you to improve your results on Google Search
Optimized Marketing are a full service digital marketing agency in Cardiff that can help you meet your on line marketing objectives