Google has announced a set of new features and tools to help local businesses improve and promote their Google My Business profiles. This is especially important if your business relies on local customers.
Changes to Google My Business
Google My Business was launched in 2014 and has become increasingly important to both merchants and consumers.
Having a verified, accurate and complete Google My Business profile is vital for Local SEO perspective. Google My Business is now evolving into a platform for engagement between businesses and their customers.
- A company logo can be added to the upper-right corner of your profile as long as your address, hours of operation, etc. is up-to-date
- A cover photo can be added to the top of your profile and give users a better first impression of your business.
- A series of photos can be added to a carousel that users can swipe through to get a better sense of what your business is all about.
New tools are available to attract and retain customers.
- Welcome offers: When a user opts to follow your business—which basically amounts to them getting updates in the “For You” section of Google Maps—you can thank them with a one-time welcome offer.
- Short names will require Google My Business verification. Short names will take two forms: g.page/shortname and @shortname. Businesses will be able to register their desired name over the next couple of weeks. When a consumer searches or inputs the URL, it will lead directly to the merchant’s Google My Business Soon users will be able to search Google Maps for @shortname and bring up the profile as well. The short names came out of feedback from merchants and the need for a simple URL to promote their businesses. Google sees that local businesses will put the URL g.page/shortname on promotional materials.
- “Local Favorite” The top 5% of local businesses in each category will also be eligible for a new “Local Favorite” badge.
Google My Business in Cardiff
If you need any help in setting up your Google My Business in Cardiff then please let us know.